About the Collection
The Stanford Geological Survey, listed as "Field Geology" in the Register, was officially inaugurated during the 1902-03 school year. The first instructors of the course were John Casper Branner and John Flesher Newsom. In that year and the next, students carried out field work in the Santa Cruz mountains. Although this was the official start of the mapping program, notebooks and maps date back to 1893 and detail the Stanford campus and the area around "the Dish".
Many changes took place over the years. The survey participants switched from carrying their gear on the backs of mules to using trucks. Handmade topographic maps gave way to printed United States Geological Survey topographic maps. In 1964, three women were officially enrolled in the class for the first time. Mary Balch, in 1929, was the first woman to map with the survey. She was not officially a member and had to map alone. She stated it would not have been seemly for an unmarried woman to map with the men. She worked in the New Almaden mine area of South San Jose. One thing that didn't change was the desire for good food; students were hired for their culinary expertise!
The output of the Survey were maps, cross sections, columnar sections, triangulation notebooks and field notebooks. A wide selection of these materials are available online. Additional content is being scanned and added to the online collection over time.
Julie Sweetkind-Singer, Head Librarian
Jane Ingalls, Assistant Map Librarian