The Stanford Geological Survey Collection contains thousands of maps and hundreds of notebooks spanning the 100-year life of the Survey. From 1895 to 1995, students, led by faculty, went into the field during the summer to learn how to create topographic and geologic maps. Past members of the Survey include Herbert Hoover, Thomas Dibblee, and Benjamin Page. In the early years, students in groups of three would be responsible for mapping a small section of land at set intervals. They created hand drawn topographic maps and overlaid them with geological features. The Stanford campus and surrounding lands were the first to be mapped. Later, the United States Geological Survey topographic maps were used as the base maps. Over the years, students mapped in parts of California, Nevada, and Utah.
Please note that the online collection is growing with additional maps and notebooks to be added over time.